The premise of this story is that the fairy tale land from where all our favorite stories and characters have originated has been taken over by a mysterious Adversary. They have long since moved to our world to escape the Adversary while they plot how to regain control of their land. Snow White has been sent as an emissary to another magical land resembling the middle east to try to gain an ally in the fight. She is imprisoned there and set to be sacrificed by the sultan, but she persuades him to keep her alive by entertaining him with stories. We get to hear, for example, how the old woman in the gingerbread house from "Hansel and Gretel" got so powerful and evil, and how Snow White came to avenge her own ill treatment on behalf of the seven dwarfs.
This novel is evidently based on a regularly-run comic of the fables that are promo'd in the introduction for those who enjoy this graphic novel.
I really liked the concept but I was disappointed in the final product. I just didn't find the stories all that compelling. I suppose the point is to tease you enough to make you want to read the comic, but I didn't get enough of any one story or character to really care that much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment