Monday, March 31, 2008

The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman

So, instead of reading the book I meant to read, I read The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman. And I'm glad...although I still haven't read Rainbow's End....it may still be awesome.

The Accidental Time Machine is about exactly that: a grad student at MIT accidentally creates a time machine. It took me a minute or two to grasp this: but the book acutally begins in the future at 2050, but not a whole lot has changed. There are different locks on the doors, and a little bit more of a digital environment, but nothing too much. The time machine itself brings our hero, Matt, no end of trouble. After his first jump to three days in the future, where he is arrested and the time machine impounded, the jumps become expodentually further forward in time and in place. This was all explained in a surge of pseudo-science that all went completely over my head.

He, of course, finds romance in on leap to an era of neo-middle ages and accidently brings her along to meet the villian of the story , the computer brain of the future Los Angles who wants to find non-existance by travelling to the end of time. All turns out well, however, but the time travel connections will make your head spin.

This book had me totally capitvated. It was 110% awesome. And only 200-some pages.

No comments: