Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Best Adult Genre Fiction (from Booklist)

From http://www.booklistonline.com/default.aspx?page=show_product&pid=2599563

Adrenaline (Thriller)
The Second Objective. By Mark Frost. Hyperion, $24.95 (9781401302221).

Fantasy
The Name of the Wind. By Patrick Rothfuss. DAW, $24.95 (9780756404079).

Historical Fiction
The Religion. By Tim Willocks. Farrar/Sarah Crichton, $26 (9780374248659).

Horror
The Heart-Shaped Box. By Joe Hill. Morrow, $24.95 (9780061147937).

Mystery
Mistress of the Art of Death. By Ariana Franklin. Putnam, $25.95 (9780399154140).

Romance
Natural Born Charmer. By Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Morrow, $24.95 (9780060734572).

Science Fiction
In War Times. By Kathleen Ann Goonan. Tor, $25.95 (9780765313553).

Women’s Fiction
Garden Spells. By Sarah Addison Allen. Bantam, $20 (9780553805482).

I've read a couple of these, besides Heart-Shaped Box. I can see why The Name of the Wind is on there since is completely awesome (although a weighty 800 plus pages), but I also read Mistress of the Art of Death and found it wanting. The main character, a woman doctor in circa 1100 AD, was just too smart. Then again, I'm not a big mystery person, so I might of missed it's charms.

No comments: