Saturday, January 31, 2009

"Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper" by Diablo Cody

This memoir follows Diablo Cody (pre-Hollywood) as she moves to Minnesota to be with her Internet-found boyfriend. She has a job as a copy editor, but then deems her life too boring and begins a year long foray as a stripper. Well, that’s pretty much the whole of the book.
Many know Diablo Cody as the Oscar winner of the movie Juno. She also has a hilarious column in Entertainment Weekly, and I was excited to read more of her sarcastic writing, laden with pop culture references and her own acerbic sense of humor. Well, there were parts of this book that made me laugh out loud, but mostly, this book is pretty graphic in the details of the sex worker industry. Now, I’m no prude, but yikes! I have a very difficult time imagining me selling this book to others, but the top selling point is that the narrative-style writing, although disjointed at times, is very funny. But readers need an open mind (waaaay open), and to know that this book is rated NC-17.

2.75/5 stars

No comments: